Our world is ever evolving and changing. You have heard the statement, “There are only two things for certain in this life: death and taxes”. Well, I would like to add a third, crazy words being added to the dictionary.
Here are a few of the over 150 words added to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary this year.
- Auto-Tune: to adjust or alter (a recording of a voice) with Auto-Tune software or other audio-editing software esp. to correct sung notes that are out of tune
- dubstep: a type of electronic dance music having prominent bass lines and syncopated drum patterns
- baby bump: the enlarged abdomen of a pregnant woman
- catfish: a person who sets up a false personal profile on a social networking site for fraudulent or deceptive purposes
- crowdfunding: the practice of soliciting financial contributions from a large number of people esp. from the online community
- freegan: an activist who scavenges for free food (as in waste receptacles at stores and restaurants) as a means of reducing consumption of resources
- gamification: the process of adding game or gamelike elements to something (as a task) so as to encourage participation
- selfie: an image of oneself taken by oneself using a digital camera esp. for posting on social networks
- hashtag: a word or phrase preceded by the symbol # that clarifies or categorizes the accompanying text (such as a tweet)
- tweep: a person who uses the Twitter online message service to send and receive tweets
- unfriend: to remove (someone) from a list of designated friends on a person’s social networking website
(If you have never seen the Essurance commercial about “unfriending” please watch. IT IS AWESOME! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ0yD-9CDwI)
- hot spot: a place where a wireless Internet connection is available
- spoiler alert: a reviewer’s warning that a plot spoiler is about to be revealed
- steampunk: science fiction dealing with 19th-century societies dominated by historical or imagined steam-powered technology
- fangirl: a girl or woman who is an extremely or overly enthusiastic fan of someone or something
So, how many of these words did you know?
One thought on “New Words Added To 2014 Dictionary”
I had not heard of catfish. Otherwise, yep!